Irrippi Ontor and Lunar Cults

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 00:04:41 +0100

_____ _____
Steve "Roan-Ur" Royle writes:

> Can anybody tell me where I can get my hands on an up to date
> version of Irripi Ontor?

I am not aware of any published cult writeup for Irrippi Ontor. He looks a bit like Albert Einstein, and his magic is similar to Lhankor Mhy's (but boosted by cyclical effects). In his mortal life, he was a Carmanian vizier advising the Satrap of Yuthuppa and studying Buserian astrology. One of Chris Gidlow's "Seleric Verses" is written in his voice (see Tales #16, p.16, Chapter Three: The Scholar).

IMO, Irrippi Ontor temples tend to have fewer library books than Lhankor Mhy, but more copies of them, and *far* better organisation. They may even have (or be working towards) a "standard set" of reference works, properly indexed and maintained up to date across the Empire. Their focus is very much on teaching, and they support and uphold the Lunar ideology in a manner that appears reprehensible to "neutral" Sages.

There was lots of information about knowledge cults and factions in the "Heroes of Wisdom" background book, including different attitudes among Irrippi Ontor scholars: the Golden (Dara Happan Traditionalist), Red (Lunar Imperialist), Brown (Innovative Pragmatist) and Provincial (er... Provincial) outlooks.

> plus any other info on lunar cults?

"Tales of the Reaching Moon" has printed the following Lunar cults:

	Crimson Bat			#8
	Granite Phalanx		#12
	Glamour (article)		#12
	Red Emperor			#16
	Danfive Xaron		#16
	Lunar Spirit Cults	#16
	Jakaleel the Witch	#17
	Yanafal Tarnils		#17

Other than issue #8, these should all still be available from David Hall (mailto:Glorantha_at_compuserve.com); for Londoners, many of them are browsable on the shelves of Leisure Games in Finchley (what a wonderful shop!).

The "Rough Guide to Glamour", also available from David, has an article on the Lunar Pantheon by Greg Stafford and myself, but has no cult writeups per se. This should help get an overview of what all the Lunar cults are for - the sidebar on the Seven Mothers is particularly useful (I hope!).

And Fod-Ariam, a "Life of Moonson" character on my website, is a Red Sage of Irrippi Ontor.

> Also anything about Lunar prisons and the White Moonies?

Lunar Prisons: see the Danfive Xaron cult in Tales #16 for everything you ever wanted to know about the Penitentiaries. There is also a run of "Notes from Notchet" (by Greg Stafford, MOB and myself) dealing with the legal system(s) of the Lunar Empire, which may be relevant to your plans. The Xaroni characters from "Life of Moonson" will be on my website in early December, on my current release schedule -- sorry about the wait! Not every prison in the Empire is run by Xaroni, incidentally: there are Sultans' Prisons, Debtors' Prisons, Military Internment Centres, and plenty of others.

White Moonies: I have a couple of references on my website, mostly under Moonie Madness: try the articles on "Moons of Glorantha" and "The Withering Away of the Empire", plus perhaps the "Triumph of the Lunar Way", and maybe also "The Arrolian Lunar Church" (in the Malkioni Sects section) and bits of the Life of Moonson "Religions" compilation.

Snippets about all these things will appear throughout the "Life of Moonson" materials on my website, e.g. there's bits of Lunar Prisons in Senator Geilbonus's writeup (note on "Crime and Punishment"), bits on the White Moon in Fod-Ariam's, and plenty more to come. Some of this is easily excerptable as generic background material (I hope).

> Can't wait to see Roan-Ur up on Nick's website!

He'll come, in due time. Meanwhile, the Halloween Special at the end of this month will be Yolanela and her brood, plus the Prophecy of the Dark Emperor for a bit of thematic balance.

> All Hail the Black Moon

Anyone who saw Steve's ritual at the end of C4's "Life of Moonson" will know why reading this sends a shiver down my spine...

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick