HeroQuesting and Time Travelling

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:33:54 GMT

Just checked out the new additions to Nick Brooke's homepage (which are really good, BTW), and was reading the HeroQuesting notes. It reminded me of one of the things that confuses me about HeroQuesting.

I never used to think HeroQuesting was time travel, when a Storm Bull worshipper re-enact the defeat of Ragnaglar and his horde of broo, you did not time travel back, you did not actually exist numerous eons ago in the Great Darkness in the fight, not in the sense that if you somehow, one day, lost and the broo won that the future would be changed. I did believe that you entered into the mythical representation of this victory of Storm Bull, that "exists" on the HeroPlane, and that should the myth be altered somehow then things change, but not time.

However, recently reading HeroQuest seminars from Greg etc... seems to indicate differently. Personally I don't like this idea.

Have I somehow misunderstoof what's going on? Or is all HeroQuesting jumped up Doctor-Who style time travel?

Cheers,

Nikk E.