Re: Kralorelan/draconic expert? - draconic retribution

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:59:15 +0100 (BST)

Ian Thomson queries:
> I don't know if there is a Kralorelan and/or draconic expert?

Well, je suis le Kralorela Expert, and the Kralori certainly consider _themselves_ draconic experts, so... Well, most of this you're unlikely to get an Official Statement on, I'd guess, but I trust you won't lack for entertaining theories. (Cue MOB and the untold -- OK, oft-told -- horrors of Pent Ridge...)

> I just looked at Glorantha.com and couldn't find the expert list,
> perhaps there aren't any anymore??

I think technically we were all fired last month, but since my P45 hasn't arrived yet, I shall continue operating as a rogue cell until Issaries operatives come and terminate me with extreme prejudice. Now, as I was sa-- *urk -- thud*

> Anyhow, my first question (the answer to which may be common knowledge
> to many other than myself) is:
> If the Inhuman King decided the EWF was so bad, and the western
> dragonewts see Kralorelans as draconic heretics - why don't dragonewts
> attack Kralorela?

Well, obvious answers to this might be:

  1. Those 'newts are weirder than a Trickster Convention on large quantities of Mee Voralan mushrooms, _who knows_ why they do anything?
  2. Kralorela is kinda a long way away, and kinda well defended... Better to send abuse (see one of the boxed sets) than warriors.

Those would both be something of a cop-out (though both somewhat true, IMO), so I shall rumble on s'more...

> If western dragonewts see Kralorela as a not-quite-as-bad-thing as the
> EWF but still pretty bad, what is the difference? Why is Kralorela
> accepted and not been subject to mass murders etc like the EWF was?

Well, bear in mind that the EWF was initially accepted, nay, seemingly _encouraged_ by the local 'newts, and that seemingly it had gotten pretty corrupt and off-the-point, just by the standards of the Orlanthi (and others) themselves, never mind how it must have seemed to the draconics. What their _exact_ reason for taking a sudden dislike to it was, we can of course only speculate about.

> Also, why do the dragonewts let Farang Farosh live?
> Possibly he was from a period of the EWF that respected draconic wisdom
> and so he wasn't one of the people they wanted to destroy?
> If, so what philosophical/mystical attitudes make him different?

Beats me.

> If some aspects of draconic lore still existed in Pavis, somehow
> preserved amongst the Pavic peoples that survived - would the dragonewts
> care enough to do anything about it?

I dunno. This is getting well outwith my Official brief, but what the hey: I doubt either Greg or Scott will bob up and issue any Commandments on such matters, so I'd suggest 'play this whatever way seems coolest to you'. Me, if I were such a person, I'd be a lot more worried about being lynched by my 'revolting conservative Orlanthi tribesmen' neighbours, rather than abstract considerations like a buncha 'newts several hundred miles away. Many Orlanthi, as has been noted on this list before, are 'sensitive' about mysticism in general, and not a few are outright hostile to draconism in any form whatsoever.

If it transpired that people were practicing draconicism, and that the 'newts didn't do anything about it, one could ascribe this to any number of reasons: total indifference -- the folly of these humans is proverbial (only we don't have proverbs, of course); tactic approval -- see, the 'newts haven't eaten us, therefore they must acknowledge our methods are _true_ draconicism, not the perversions of the EWF!; latent hostility -- they're biding their time, and will summon a dragon to eat all those miserable heretics, once there's a decent sized mouthful of them; and that ever-popular, 'total draconic inscrutability'.

> But then if there was only one High Mystic of the discipline in Pavis,
> perhaps he alone would have the ability to interact with the newts at
> their level, and maybe even still study amongst them. Perhaps they would
> respect him/her as a genuinely honourable follower of draconic ways,
> even as an honorary dragonewt?

I'm confident that that's what his Informative Pamphlets say, at least. Very reasonably priced, too. Whether he's actually ever tripped over an actual 'newt I shall leave to your collective and individual best guesses...

Incidentally, for some gen on the _Kralori_ take on what's different between them and the EWF, look back (if you thought to print a copy out) of the old Myth of the Month about ShangHsa (may his name be cursed). (This appears to have been somewhat 'Vithelanised' in its viewpoint, but mostly would correspond to what the Kralori would say too.) A rough paraphrase of the 'moral' might be: "barbarians -- ignorant as swine, and it'll do you little good to try and teach 'em anything."

Hope this all helps -- don't be betting the mortgage on any of it, though.

Cheers,
Alex.