Kralorelan/draconic expert? - draconic retribution

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:26:51 -0400

Someone might jump on some of my answers for being poorly researched, but here goes...

> I don't know if there is a Kralorelan and/or draconic expert? I just
> looked at Glorantha.com and couldn't find the expert list, perhaps there
> aren't any anymore??

        It was listed last month, but the link has been removed. I couldn't find it today.

> Anyhow, my first question (the answer to which may be common knowledge
> to many other than myself) is:
> If the Inhuman King decided the EWF was so bad, and the western
> dragonewts see Kralorelans as draconic heretics - why don't dragonewts
> attack Kralorela?

        This isn't a correct interpretation. During the period of the worship of Orlanth Dragonfriend, the draconic beings allowed many of their secrets to be shared with humans. When the humans abused this power, they took it back. When humans turned on the dragonnewts, and tried to kill them, the dragons came to their children's aid.

        Kralorela is not considered to be heretical by dragonkind. In fact, Godunya is aided by dragonnewts, dream-dragons, and sometimes true dragons. The False Dragon Empire (name could be wrong) created by the Godslearners were the heretics, as is the Path of Immanent Mastery, which I -believe- to be a Godslearner bastardization of the draconic truths given to the EWF and misused by the Godslearners to help them hold power in Kralorela. I think that the False Dragon Empire was brought down in the same period as the Godslearners and the EWF.

        Disclaimer: There might be discrepancies between my views and printed material...

        In my game, Immanent Mastery is the simplest portion of the EWF lore which any human could understand. It is power over substance, divorced from the mystic truths, and falsely applied. This helps explain why it is still popular among the ignorant and lower populations of Kralorela. A true mystic would see through the mummery of Charismatic Wisdom and know that the Path is empty of enlightenment.

        This is like the difference between street brawling and Zen martial arts.  The higher truths give the base powers a transcendent value.

        I checked out Wesley Quadros' site and read the Sheng Seleris story there, and it attributes actions and attitudes to Kralorela, as a whole, that I consider totally unfounded; actually evil on a level with the worst of the Lunars. This seems to be the same direction that you are coming from. The story reads well, though.

> Also, why do the dragonewts let Farang Farosh live?

        Probably because he knows better than to teach what he knows. His quiet life is not an affront to anyone.

> Possibly he was from a period of the EWF that respected draconic wisdom
> and so he wasn't one of the people they wanted to destroy?

        If he was from the earlier period this is very likely.

> If, so what philosophical/mystical attitudes make him different?

        He is either a pacifist mystic who will not teach, or a coward whose desire to live is greater than the weight of his secrets.

> If some aspects of draconic lore still existed in Pavis, somehow
> preserved amongst the Pavic peoples that survived - would the dragonewts
> care enough to do anything about it?

        In one of the newer Gloranthan publications it is mentioned that around 1618 - 1620 the worship of Orlanth Dragonfriend is again successful. This suggests that a new cooperation is beginning, and this view is supported by Argrath's draconic ties and his gaining the EWF banner.

        I worked this into my campaign and a group of PC's found the banner, eventually delivered it to Argrath, and joined Argrath and Harrek on the ocean voyage.
Bob Stancliff

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #102