Re: Hero Wars delayed shocker....

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:31:09 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham:
> Nobody likes the delays, but there's no need to give up hope.

Given Gloranthan products' history. people might be justified in Speaking As the Bluetones, saying 'our doubt is just our faith in disappointment'... But I would, as an outside observer, definitely agree with David's general sentiments: things show every sign of moving along, and while I'd be not _completely_ shocked if there were further delays, it seems clear to me that that latest announcement is not a hopeful "sometime next year", but a pretty definite "in a matter of months".

Roger McCarthy:
> Annoying though the latest delay is at least it appears that GTA members ARE
> getting to learn about it first which seems a good reason to join even at
> this late date.....

Though a yet better reason is that the more money the GTA raises, the more, better, and sooner product you're likely to see from Issaries, beyond those already in the 'money raised, counted, and spent' category, like the first four (?) or so.

> [...] surely it should be possible for the basic Hero
> Wars rules to give you enough info to play a standard Orlanthi, Ernaldan,
> Yelmite, or Lunar character leaving the supplements to fill in all of the
> exotic associated and sub-cults ?

I believe that's the plan. After all, there's the need to adequately exemplify character generation, but in any event --

> If anything kills Issaries at birth it will be delivering a superlative game
> system plus a Gloranthan encyclopaedia but with most of the religions and
> creatures you actually need to play in Glorantha relegated to 'coming soon'
> books that then take years to appear....

I have, with my own ears, heard Greg articulate his own sensitivity to this very issue. You can be sure that Issaries is trying its hardest to ensure that the Orlanthi and Lunar books pursue the first two out the door with as much velocity as is consistent with doing a bang-up job of them. Beyond those, I imagine it's all dependent on sufficient money coming back in said door, by fund-raising hook or by product-sales crook...

Slan libh,
Alex.