Hero Wars delayed shocker....

From: Roger McCarthy <rogermccarthy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:22:39 GMT

Annoying though the latest delay is at least it appears that GTA members ARE getting to learn about it first which seems a good reason to join even at this late date.....

Another recent disappearance from glorantha.com is the detailed list of future Issaries books and supplements - one hopes that is because it's being revised to fit in with the new schedule ?

While there's been a LOT of postings about Hero Wars game mechanics which meant very little to those of us who never saw a draft, one thing I've not seen discussed is the actual contents (which must be fairly stable by now) - - given that the product listing when it did exist had 'critters' and 'the divine roster' as separate books will there actually be enough information in Hero Wars on the important Gloranthan deities and creatures to pick it up and actually play right away ?

(OK we should get the Orlanthi book pretty soon after HW but some of us have been playing Orlanthi for 20 years and are getting pretty bored sitting around the stead or roaming around the Rubble waiting for the Lunars to turn up and the bloody Hero Wars to start)

What worries me is that we will find ourselves in the same situation as RQ2 players before Cults of Prax when you had a great game system but next to no world information and your choice of religion was restricted to either Orlanth Adventurous, Kyger Litor, Black Fang or create your own cult.

The long gap between RQ3 and GoG also springs to mind.

Assuming that all we've heard about pantheon initiation still applies and that 'generic Orlanth' or Yelm or Seven Mothers has a basic magic package common to all worshippers, surely it should be possible for the basic Hero Wars rules to give you enough info to play a standard Orlanthi, Ernaldan, Yelmite, or Lunar character leaving the supplements to fill in all of the exotic associated and sub-cults ?

If anything kills Issaries at birth it will be delivering a superlative game system plus a Gloranthan encyclopaedia but with most of the religions and creatures you actually need to play in Glorantha relegated to 'coming soon' books that then take years to appear....

Roger