Old Pavic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:17:58 +1300

Keith Nellist:

Me>> Given that Pavis was not part of the EWF, perhaps you care to
>> propose an alternative hypothesis whereby Old Pavic is somehow
>> important enough to be spoken "in" the EWF? I do not think that
>> the sentence was intended to mean that Old Pavic was only spoken
>> by Pavisite tourists and traders to the EWF.

>The city is pretty remote from the main Empire

No, it wasn't. Prax is controlled by friendly horsemen and there was the skill of Draconic Flying.

>it is not a direct subject of
>the Empire, but is closely allied to the Empire, through a shared quasi
>religion (draconic mysticism). It is easy to take the sentence in the
>way that I took it, that Pavis could almost be viewed of as part of the
>EWF (see for example Labrygon, 'a demigod priest from the Empire of Wyrms
>Friends' who was in Pavis, building a Puzzle Canal).

That doesn't explain why Old Pavic was spoken _within_ the Empire, which strongly implies that it was once spoken throughout a larger region than Pavis.

Me>> Now since Pavis was settled largely by people from Dragon Pass

>I think this is the basic assumption that I am questioning. I think
>the biggest single majority of Pavic citizens in the early days would
>have been Pure Horse People and their brothers, the Zebra People.

But Old Pavic is a Theyalan Language and not a Pentan one (cf the example of Rurik the Restless). Ergo most of the settlers were Orlanthi from Dragon Pass. Pavis did have a band of Pure Horse Followers but that did not make the majority of Pavisites Pure Horse People. The Pure Horse Lineage refers to the Arrowsmith dynasty who controlled the building in Pavis.

>> Since [the citizens] can't understand Auld
>> Wyrmish, they would have to speak a human tongue. Given the
>> balance of power, this would usually be the ruler's own tongue
>> ie EWF-Quivini/Old Pavic.

>Why can they not understand Auld Wyrmish, pre 1042 it is pretty easy,
>just a bit of Waltzing and fasting?

They still need the operation to speak it better than 25% and I think there would have been NHS waiting lists of people waiting for their chance to speak Auld wyrmish. Hence the evolution of a Theyalan Tongue with Draconic Idioms.

>The 'Old' in Old Pavic refers to it's origin in Old Pavis.

So Sartarite evolved in Sartar and is not the same language as the nearby Heortlanders? The label just merely means that it is the language of Old Pavis/the Rubble.