Greydog Gals; Website News

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:40:13 -0000

James Turner writes:

> I was recently rereading the Greydog info from the latest
> tales and YBoT2. After increasing jealousy over how great
> it must be to play in this campaign I started to think
> about running it. However I can only assume that the
> campaign was not blessed by the presence of female players,
> of which I would have at least one.

You're right. We're just a sad bunch of geeky gaming guys, with not a "blessing" to call our own... (snif).

Thorgeir's wife Placella was pretty tough, though -- but she's a semi-PC, and so doesn't appear in the published material, IIRC. (Thorgeir married Placella because she was big enough to stop the other kids beating him up. Thorgeir becomes an "adventurer" each summer because Placella doesn't want him hanging around the stead after the heavy spring ploughing is done. Etc.).

But it's true that the most prominent female characters in the Greydog game have been NPCs, and perhaps even sexist stereotypes to boot: Old Madge of the Tenspear Clan, Elyssa of the Glen, the Ulerians we rescued from the Sack of Smithstone, the Esrolian priestess with the thing about pigs, that seductive vampire bint (see the forthcoming Tales #19 for details!), the Heortlending princess Harrek ran off with, and others too numerous to remember (er...).

> I can only hope that HW doesn't forget about the (few?)
> female players in the Orlanthi players guide and Sartar
> books.

This is a bit of a non sequitur, as the authors of published Greydog info have no input into the proposed HW Orlanthi products. So fear not: just because the Reaching Moon Megacorp is surging with surplus testosterone and smells like a sweaty locker-room, doesn't mean Issaries, Inc. will suffer the same undoubted problems.

Website News

Two new "Life of Moonson" characters are up on my website:

Sorry about the delayed transmission, normal service will be resumed as soon as I get this shitload of Real Work out of the way...

Gosh, this Old Pavic debate is fascinating! I can't wait to see what comes up next...

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #154