Orlanthi and sexism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:51:07 +1300

James Turner:

>However I can only assume that the [greydog]
>campaign was not blessed by the presence of female players,
>of which I would have at least one.

What does a sex of the player have to do with the characters do? The aim of these campaigns is to have fun not to somberly attain some sexual issues awareness. Given the tribe was founded by a Queen, I don't think anybody will object at a female PC swinging swords.

I don't see why we should tone down Orlanthi (or any other) culture just to mollify modern sensitivities. In the Orlanthi cosmos, we already have slavery, brigandage and blood feuds galore so why do people become upset over a little bit of sexism here and there?

I have no problem with female PC's bucking what traditional minded society expects of them and being quite successful at it (and that goes for even deeply misogynistic societies such as the Rokari) but I do believe that attempts to turn Ulerian Temples into Bingo Houses or prohibit the telling of sexist jokes at a Storm Bully piss-up are ill-conceived.

>I can only hope that HW doesn't forget about the (few?)
>female players in the Orlanthi players guide and Sartar
>books.

Any sign so far that it doesn't? The current ruckus stems from a draft that suggested that females couldn't join Orlanth Thunderous, yet people are quite happy with the thought of males prevented from becoming a Babeester Gor Axe Murderer.