Re: Orlanthi and sexism

From: DBlizzard_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:26:43 EST

In a message dated 11/17/99 5:37:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com> writes:

>I can only hope that HW doesn't forget about the (few?)
>female players in the Orlanthi players guide and Sartar
>books.

 Any sign so far that it doesn't? The current ruckus stems  from a draft that suggested that females couldn't join  Orlanth Thunderous, yet people are quite happy with the  thought of males prevented from becoming a Babeester Gor  Axe Murderer. >>

I don't know about your Glorantha campaign. However, in most of the Runequest campaigns I have heard about, ran or played in Orlanth was easily the most popular cult. I have never seen a single Babeester Gor PC (although I'm sure they exist). The difference in excluding males from a minor cult (from a PC desirabilty standpoint) and females from the most popular adventuring cult for players is extremely significant.

This issue fortunately seems to be moot. However, it isa playability and game fun issue. The fact that you would want to add sexism to a culture (that from previous notes seemed to be comparatively limited in this regard) certainly wouldn't be a problem. However, adding it to a cult with such widespread impact on so many player's campaign worlds, as to make such a change extremely undesirable, in my opinion.

David A. Blizzard