Babeester Gor Myths, Take 2

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:09:02 -0600

        Hi.
        My apologies for the terse question about Babeester Gor myths
earlier. I've been lurking on the list for while and when I tried to send a message it kept bouncing, so the terseness was owing to the fact that I was just trying to find the address would get through to the list.

        I've been running RQ off and on for 15 years, and recently one of my players decided to play a Babeester Gor initiate in Orlanthi society. I haven't been able to find a satisfactory write-up on the cult, so I'm in the process of creating one, but I'm somewhat hindered by the lack of substantive info on the Goddess and her myths.

        The listing in the Prosopaedia says that she was born from her mother's corpse, which doesn't make much sense, given that she's the daughter of Ernalda and Ernalda wasn't killed during the Godtime. It also offers a myth about B.G. running amok and slaughtering a bunch of healers until Eurmal got her drunk. This suggests that her worshippers are berserkers, and indeed she has the Berserk rune spell, but why use Berserk when you can use Axe Trance and Great Parry instead?

        Wyrms Footnotes says that she goes invisibly and commands the spirit of Silence, but nothing else seems to elaborate on this, and it contradicts GoG.

        Snakepipe Hollow seems to suggest that she was turned into a statue, but I haven't found anything to clarify this point.

        My own take on B.G is that she went on a quest to find the Shield of Arran and to recover the Earth Axe from Zorak Zoran, and that she used these weapons to kill a chaotic fertility spirit, symbolizing her own abandonment of fertility.

        Any thoughts on all of this?

Andrew E. Larsen