Re: Babeester Gor Myths, Take 2

From: Weihe, David <Weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:38:14 -0500

> but I'm somewhat hindered by the lack of
> substantive info on the Goddess and her myths.

The goddesses tend to have very local myths (indeed, some may just have been local spirits conflated into a whole goddess) so this should be no great
problem. Just come up with some that don't absolutely contradict the other sources and keeps the essential image of vengeful axe murderess.

> The listing in the Prosopaedia says that she was born from her
> mother's corpse, which doesn't make much sense, given that she's the
> daughter of Ernalda and Ernalda wasn't killed during the Godtime. It also
> offers a myth about B.G. running amok and slaughtering a bunch of healers
> until Eurmal got her drunk. This suggests that her worshippers are
> berserkers, and indeed she has the Berserk rune spell, but why use Berserk
> when you can use Axe Trance and Great Parry instead?

As example, the Goddess's corpse could refer to when the Earth Goddesses went to sleep after Yelm's death, with the comatose body seeming just like a corpse. Perhaps She wasn't originally Ernalda's daughter but of another, unnamed, Earth goddess, and then adopted by Ernalda. Etc, etc.

One uses Berzerk because getting it is easier than getting both the Trance and Great Parry, or because it is easier to use than the other two together. Axe Trance seems like an all-out attack, while Great Parry an all-out defense;
perhaps they tend to interfere? They would certainly be found at very different
shrines, and expect no Great Temples, or even full temples, to Babeestor Gor outside of Esrolia and the Shaker's Temple in Tarsh, and perhaps at the Paps.

> My own take on B.G is that she went on a quest to find the Shield
> of Arran and to recover the Earth Axe from Zorak Zoran, and that she used
> these weapons to kill a chaotic fertility spirit, symbolizing her own
> abandonment of fertility.

But she doesn't *abandon* fertility, unlike Maran Gor. Several myths have Her engaging in relations, and even having children. Granted, I cannot imagine that her mates last very long (except for Eurmal, who gets her drunk before sleeping with her), and I expect that she fosters out her young,
but she no more abandons fertility than does Shargash the Destroyer.