Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #167

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:34:54 -0600

>>Also is Uleria worshipped by uz???
>
>There is Xenoma, a six-breasted dark troll, who works as a
>sacred prostitute at the Furthest Uleria Temple so it seems
>that Uleria can be worshipped by Uz (cf Runequest Companion
>for piccie). However she caters mainly for humans so it
>seems that Uleria is not popular among Uz.
>
>- --Peter Metcalfe

        Which raises the question, exactly what is the point of worshipping Uleria? The earth cults have a good deal of fertility magic, so why would Orlanthi or Yelmi do it (pun not entirely intended)?

        My take on it is that Uleria is a goddess of 'contageous fertility'. By worshipping with her priestesses, some of the priestess' fertility in transferred to the worshipper. Thus a man who wants to have children will go to a Ulerian and acquire fertility from her, which is then transmitted to his wife, or his crops, or livestock, or whatever.

        Seen in this light, Uz would probably be very interested in Uleria, since worshipping her might relieve the Trollkin Curse.

>From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>

>Andrew E. Larsen asked about Issaries myths.
>
>I don't think I've posted the summary of the myth from King of Dragon
>Pass (written by Robin D. Laws):
>
>Issaries The Conciliator
>During the Great Darkness, Issaries starts the world back on the road
>to order and good trading by journeying to a distant place and
>bringing peace to two warring peoples, the Long-Noses and the
>Big-Teeth.

        Very helpful. I don't have King of Dragon Pass, since my computer can't support it, and I very much appreciate this info. It gives me some real ideas.

>From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
>Subject: Re: What the Gods Don't Know

><< The major exception to this is that they are unaware of what happens
>within a consecrated holy spot of any other diety. Thus Yelm cannot 'see'
>into an open-air temple of Orlanth, and neither can see into an Issaries
>market.>>
>
> Certainly they have less power there, especially when we're talking
>about the holy place's image on the God Plane (or equivalent, should you be a
>shaman or sorceror). I'm not so sure that Orlanth can't see what goes on in
>an Issaries market though, at least to some extent; Issaries is a member of
>his own pantheon, after all.

        Point taken. Or would Orlanth have to rely on Issaries for his information on what went on in the market? But either way, Yelm would still be excluded.

><< This does make Yelm, Orlanth, Ernalda, Xentha, and a few other
>dieties quite knowledgeable, but then that's part of why they're so powerful.
>>>

> Xentha is not a particularly powerful deity though; she has few
>worshippers and her magic is limited by comparison with 'typical' deities,
>never mind the likes of Orlanth and Ernalda.

        Yeah, I knew someone was going to say that. I've long felt that Xentha ought to be more powerful, since she governs the world half the time. In my campaign, although I haven't elaborated on this, Xentha is more important that the Troll Gods write-up allows.

Andrew E. Larsen