Avalon Hill and GW

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:58:35 +0000

>Has anyone ever named an actual hill "Avalon" in one of their games?
'Fraid so. I ran a silly scenario as part of a 24-hour Rag charity role-playing game we put on at Sheffield University half a lifetime ago. The major (possibly only as far as I recall) landmark in the kingdom of Avalon was The Hill.

The game featured a quest for certain lost Runes one of which was the Stereo rune (two triangular arrows pointing in opposite directions) which was to be found in the form of a ghetto-blaster carried by a broo living in the forest of Eelwood. That is the Wild Rocker of the Eelwoods. I don't think anyone got the joke.

By the way I suspect the main reason Games Workshop tended to produce games in hardback book format is that in the UK games attract Value Added Tax (VAT) whereas books do not. By publishing RQ as a book without any dice they had an additional 17.5% (or whatever the rate was then) margin to pass on to the customer (or not).

Richard Crawley

P.S. I got down to Wayland's Forge in Birmingham last week. It's well worth checking out.