Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #162

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 20:16:39 +0000

Jeff replying to Bryan:

>>How do we actually know that Orlanth and Humakt existed virtually as they >>are "now" known before the Dawn?

> Huh? Look, the reason we know that the myths of Orlanth and Humakt
> haven't changed an awful lot between the First and Third age is
> because we have two sources for these myths. The first is KoS, Wyrms
> Footprints, etc - which are Third Age in orientation. The second is
> stuff like Harmastsaga, the Immolation Song - which are First Age in
> orientation.

Of course Harmast was one of those guys who changed the Heortling ways big deal by re-discovering, and failing that, re-inventing the myths of Heort obscured by Lokamayadon.

> With the BIG exception of what happened when the Lightbringers Quest
> traveled through the Underworld (a discovery of Harmast), these myths
> are pretty much in line.

Why should this be different? Harmastsaga can only show the situation after Lokamayadon cut off much of the older truths, or there wouldn't have been a problem with the initiations. Alakoring didn't change much about anything except tribal kings and the importance of priests.

> Third Age myths rant a bit more about Chaos - First Age myths rant more
> about PreDark. The core Orlanthi myths seem pretty well established by
> the time Harmast is finished.

Yes, after the "God Learning" of the Lifebringer missionaries and the machinations of Lokamayadon. I think that old King Heort would have quite a bit to say about proper rites if asked directly (as the Pharaoh may have done).