Church and State in Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:32:26 +1300

Terra Incognita:

>imho, divorce of authority and power
>is rare in non-malkioni gloranthan society like lunar empire, isnt
>it?(southpoint and northpoint in loskalm, seguraine and leplain in tanisor ,
>feudalistic)

In practice, all societies have multiple centres of power regardless of whether they believe it or not. As for the Malkioni, the Southpoint Ecclesiach is subordinate to the King of Loskalm while the Rokari Pope's subservience to the Seshnegi King depends on who you talk to.

>but in godlearner empire, were there religious center of jrustela
>and imperial palace of seshnela?

The King of Seshnela ruled everywhere but he had numerous important nobles to contend with. There was a Pope and a few other autonomous religious bigwigs (disputes were settled by a truth contest) within the Empire as well as several secular sorcerous orders and all these would have the same power as the ranking nobility.

>do ewf have divided left hand and right hand on their domain?

They divided their Dragon Pass up into two such zones but the difference between them isn't known.

>in my view under this theme, the typical separation are:
>orlanthi schism of windlord and stormvoice
>unification by alakoring?

The Windlord is the follower of Orlanth Adventurous and the Storm Voice is the follower of Orlanth Thunderous. Orlanth however focuses his social power though the clan chieftain.

The conflict inherent in Orlanthi nations is between the King and Clans, and Alakoring did nothing to resolve this.

>lunar's conflict between glamour of apotheosis and first blessed
>torangļ?

No real conflict as the Lunar Way tolerates all differences. The Red Emperor is the head of almost all faiths in the Lunar Empire and Torang is quite happy to run the cults for him.