Imperial cavalry

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:03:18 -0500

Me:
> 25,000 is a close number. Nearer 30,000 actually.

Alex:
>Yer barkin' mad, man. I hesitate to ask, but how many infantry battalions
>have you pencilled in?

No battalions alas. Regiments yes. Woof Woof!

Satrapys and allies, numbers of troops available: Garrison 33515
House 25528
Navy 3020
Army 61788

Provinces (Numbers include reserves)
Tarsh 15714
Aggar 9604
Vanch 5880
Holay 8575
Imther 1979

Does this help? Cav regiments are roughly 500 strong, inf around 1000. If you would like a list of units, I can send you it as an Excel file.

Tarsh has a whopping 4.5% of its population in regular or part time military positions.

>If this is including forces that are techincally _Allies_,

As I stated, forces deployed with the CC, IB, HC, SA and PA.

>I can just about believe it, though it still seems on the high side.

Not really. The nearest RW example I could find was Byzantium in 842 AD Population around 8 million with a total military, including part timers, of 154,000 troops. I have the Lunar Empires forces, including garrison and house troops (temple guards, noble bodyguards, gladiators etc) as being around 170,000. Bear in mind that the Byzantine figure was not considered excessive at the time, nor was it ruinous to the economy or to the population

Basically around 2% of the population seems optimum. Note, the Byzantine figure did not include a sizable number of mercenaries, although my Lunar figure does.

>Compare it to the cavalry forces deployed in the DP region in the
eponymous
>boardgame, at the height of _war_ with Sartar, much less in an occupation
>situation (which is the context we got onto this topic from).

The majority of units on my list are straight from WB&RM.

What you are forgetting Alex is that the Pentans make a big reappearance at about the same time as the action in Sartar, which is around 1628+ in DP. Large amounts of the CC and other forces are elsewhere PLUS the army was weakened by the Dragon event.

Therefore, the Char-un, who contribute 6 x 500 man egiments of cossacks to the CC only see one deployed in DP, as the rest are busy fighting their true enemy - other Pentans in 1628.

>Digest historians will doubtless note this is a role-reversal from my
>(much) earlier argussion with Sandy P. Colour me militantly moderate...

Me too Alex, but I've spent many hours with spreadsheets and dry tomes on Roman, Greek, Persian, Muslim, Chinese militaries and have researched troops strengths in all of those Empires. For the Lunar population and the allies and neigbours they have available to them, they have a reasonable but not huge military.

Martin Laurie