Re: Imperial cavalry

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:45:47 GMT

While I don't want to get into a battle of citations with a man with as fearsome a reputation with his credit card at amazon.com...

Me'n'Martin Laurie:
> >Yer barkin' mad, man. I hesitate to ask, but how many infantry battalions
> >have you pencilled in?

> No battalions alas. Regiments yes. Woof Woof!

My error. I shall go write out a basic military organisation chart 100 times. (Pesky X's.)

> Does this help? Cav regiments are roughly 500 strong, inf
> around 1000. If you would like a list of units, I can send you
> it as an Excel file.

Please do, thanks.

> >If this is including forces that are techincally _Allies_,
>
> As I stated, forces deployed with the CC, IB, HC, SA and PA.

I was thinking in terms of where they were mustered, rather than how they were deployed, organisationally.

> >Compare it to the cavalry forces deployed in the DP region in the
> eponymous
> >boardgame, at the height of _war_ with Sartar, much less in an occupation
> >situation (which is the context we got onto this topic from).
>
> The majority of units on my list are straight from WB&RM.

I don't see how that squares: there are about 50 'Lunar Army' counters in DP (I don't have WBRM, alas), roughly a _quarter_ of the number of men you suggest.

> What you are forgetting Alex is that the Pentans make a big
> reappearance at about the same time as the action in Sartar,
> which is around 1628+ in DP.

I'm not forgetting that at all, and if you cast your mind back (way, way back, admittedly) I argued much the same, but I don't see that that it necessarioly justifies _those_ numbers. (How long is a piece of Pentan string, though.) Asssorted other Unpleasantness may be happening on other fronts, too, especially Charg and The Enemy Within(TM).

That a sizable chunk is garrison and 'house' forces (therefore, normally relatively 'static' in strategic terms, I'm assuming) makes your total a tad easier to swallow. I remain a tad skeptical about both the total, and the fraction of cavalry, however.

G'luck,
Alex.