Re: Vinga, Orlanth & Ernalda

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:46:49 GMT

Herve Ancelin:
> IMO it's possible to *self-initiate* in both
> case with an HQ. It's not obvious it's easier
> to create a subcult (first case) than to break
> a tradition (second case).

I agree. Depends if you ask a prophet, or a poltician, I imagine...

> IMO two cults are distinct if the
> worshipped *spirits* appear as distinct
> characters in the same myth.
> Ex :Orlanth wooing Ernalda defines
> difference of both deities as well
> as role in Orlanthi society.

But Vinga has her own myths (allegedly), and I'm sure that Orlanth the Chief (at least) appears in them. If OA=V, and OA=OR, but OR=/=V... Quick, summon a qualified Catholic to explain this to us! ;-) But I don't think you can reduce gods to simple systems of equations and inequalities, and come to that, you can't really make a precise mapping between a 'cult' and a 'god', since each cult is incrementally rather than discretely different from the last.

As I tried to say in my earlier message, a Vingan could be, for assorted mythic identification purposes, Ernalda, Orlanth, or Vinga herself, depending what the situation, and what the myth is.

> So OA and Vinga are two cults for one *spirit*.

Doesn't this contradict your original definition?

> > Men warrior are by no means uncommon in Esrolia
>
> How are they controled then ?

I'm not sure I see the problem. Social power is rarely a matter of who does the dirty work...

Then again, I may be biased by our own game, where allegedly the Ernaldan ring member controls what the _chief_ gets up to, never mind the weaponthanes. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.