Vinga, Orlanth & Ernalda

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:09:13 +0100

Trotsky (173)

> Not to my knowledge - AFAIK Vinga is still
> women-only. She is, after all, the goddess
> of female warriors.

Why would a man would want to be Vingan ? I think an Illuminated could but it would still require to convince the priestress.
A success would attract a lot of attention on the motivation of the new initiate and the priestress.

What's the difference between
*you can't join because the god rejects you* and
*you can't join because the priest(ress) don't want it (because "that's not the Way") *

IMO it's possible to *self-initiate* in both case with an HQ. It's not obvious it's easier to create a subcult (first case) than to break a tradition (second case).

IMO two cults are distinct if the
worshipped *spirits* appear as distinct
characters in the same myth.
Ex :Orlanth wooing Ernalda defines
difference of both deities as well
as role in Orlanthi society.

OTOH if two myths have characters with
close powers/personality then it's the
same *spirit* and then distinction on
cults are cultural and not *divine*.

So OA and Vinga are two cults for one
*spirit*. It would have been different
if OA had wooed or married Vinga.
Vingkot or Heort don't count as OA proxy since this could have been relations
between heroes.

> There ought to be a history of strong
> female leaders...rather than women leaders

That looks like an Esrolian leader definition.

> Men warrior are by no means uncommon in Esrolia

How are they controled then ?