Re: How much is a Lunar worth?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:27:57 GMT

Gary, known as Gazza, but not _that_ Gazza, writes:
> Sorry to disappoint.)

Nay, relieve. ;-)

> I mean, there's RQ3, which says basically that 1 penny is the daily
> subsistence level. Fair enough. But then, in RQ Con Compendium,
> in the LARP writeup, it seems that 5L is enough to hire an entire
> company of mercenaries. So something's stuffed here.

I assume someone 'reflated' the Lunar, for the purposes of the LARP. The former numbers are about right. Depending on how one is 'subsisting', that is...

> Perhaps RQ2 can help? Well, not really; it looks like the prices
> of (eg) training were GREATLY reduced in RQ3 (I'm wondering now
> whether adventurers used to lug around lots of silver in RQ2, or
> if they got something like training vouchers instead).

Yeah, though the sorts of training you could get was scaled back too. I think the thinking was on the lines of, putting the idea of 'buying' spells, STR training, etc, into more of a social context. Rather than looting the Rubble and spending much money on some notional free skills market, with correspondingly ludicrous 'consultancy fees', it's assumed that you can learn some things at 'cost', but only those that your social environment is keen to 'subsidise' you learning. Thus the Orlanth cult in a Sartarite clan will gleefully teach you Bladesharp, if not _insist_ you learn it, just about. OTOH, you're unlikely to be able to get hold of a Darkwall at any price, much less 1000L...

> - What is the cost of training? As per RQ2? RQ3? Something different?

Whatever the person you find who's willing to train you, choses to charge.

> I'm having a fair bit of difficulty trying to reconcile this; I
> want to use RQ2 source material (I've just got Pavis and Big Rubble,
> and it is every bit as good as you fellows claimed - thanks!), but
> I'm using RQ3 rules and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to adjust
> the treasures and pricing.

It's not really a rules issue; I'd be quite comfortable mixing and matching in that respect. If you're running a Pavis campaign, there's no reason not to use those numbers, though I'd attach the above warning bells to the training numbers especially. Determine the availability and cost of training more by how common you want it to be in your game, and narrative considerations, than worrying about Gloranthan holy writ.

I don't recall the prices on other things being _seriously_ out of whack, so I shan't volunteer any more detailed advice...

Cheers,
Alex.