gerbils; death

From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 20:07:45 -0500

Quoth the Mobster:
>Odd, a "Ulerian" Jaxarte bumped into down in the red light district of
>Nochet claimed to use a gerbil.

Just an urban legend. Cf. http://www.well.com/user/cynsa/newbutt.html

Quoth Yinkin:
>I'd say that they are weirder... A Humakti devotes himself to the god of
>death and endings: is this the choice for a happy and palanced person?
>Though he can also be the god of professional soldiers I think that this
>version of his cult is like 'lay membership'- as a sword (or initiate) of
>Humakt you have taken the full step, from then on you strive to become a
>living incarnation of Death. I dont think it is surprising if they lose
>(some of) their fertility...

Please see the excellent and seminal article "A Matter of Honour" in Tales of the Reaching Moon #5 and the letters it generated. Humakt is a complex and challenging god, and his worshipers run the gamut. There is even a myth about the marriage of Humakt and Uleria, but internal documentary evidence suggests it was composed by a Malkioni living in Malkioni society, so it doesn't reflect either cult's beliefs or practices. Here is another bit on Humakt (I apologize to those who saw it when I posted it all those years ago):

	MYSTERY CULT
	Death is the most powerful, dramatic, and mysterious Power Rune.  Those
who worship it must use intuition to understand it. There is no complete rational certainty, because there are plenty of deceivers in the world. Humakt offers spiritual certainty to replace the fear and doubt everyone feels. By taking a leap of faith and giving up any hope of resurrection, the Humakt initiate confirms to himself the certainty of death and an honorable afterlife.

        Dedicated Humakti "crawl inside" Death. On a mundane level, they become one with their swords. On a higher level, they enter the trinity of slayer- slaying-slain. Through great spiritual experience, they approach the ineffable inner mysteries.

        Sharp, painful, spiritual beauty brings tears of joy to those whom Humakt inspires. Such a person has compassion for those who fear death. He has conquered his own fear, but does not blame others for fearing. That is why the deaths he delivers must be quick and sure, not through disease, poison, or torture. Slow deaths enhance fear, and prevent the dying from learning through death. Deaths by surprise, at the opposite extreme, do not give the dying person time to embrace death.

        Humakti feel that everyone deserves a chance to die consciously. That is why only the ignorant say, "Death is too good for him," or "Say your prayers!" The wise say, "Death may do him some good," and to their enemies, "I am going to kill you now; you may wish to prepare yourself."