Re: Dara Happan god learners & assorted topics

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:06:58 -0800

Peter Metcalfe wrote (of the God Learners)

> Oh yes, they did. They ruthlessly exploited this
> phenomenon according to the introduction of the
> Entekosiad (the Paradox solution)

Which is especially paradoxical because other sources say that the God Learners never got to Dara Happa... (You probably remember where this reference is.)

Greg has tried to explain this by saying that Entekosiad refers to God Learner techniques, not *the* God Learners of the Middle Sea Empire.

Andrew Larsen asked

> Is there an offical long-form write up of Uleria? Where did it appear?

Different Worlds 38, according to the Meints Index to Glorantha.

Norbert Franz wrote

> The
> player of that character asked me whether his character could become an
> initiate of Orlanth of Humath anytime soon. I pointed out to him that this
> was a definite NO GO, at least as far as the die-hard, tribal Orlanthi of
> Delela were concerned

The Delelans are likely to consider him an evil Arkati, simply because he practices sorcery. The fact that he's an apprentice, and his master was Stygian, just makes things worse.

I've never run henotheism under RQ rules, but it's supposed to be somewhat less effective than either pure magic system. So you might reduce Free INT by 1 for each rune spell known (even though they don't literally require memorization), and perhaps reduce the casting chance of the rune magic by 5 or 10 percent of the highest sorcery skill.

John Hughes mentions Vinga. In the latest material I've seen from Greg, she seems more associated with Ernalda than with Orlanth (!), and her main schtick is Protection (as a concept, not the RQ spell). Nothing conclusive with regard to fertility. I maintain that being an initiate of Vinga has zero effect on fertility. However, many Vingans, if not the cult itself, do what they can to avoid pregnancy, seeing as how it makes it difficult to fight.

Guy Jobbins wonders about canonical Vinga. There isn't any (until Hero Wars sees print). There are several reasonable interpretations of the cult in game terms (Jane Williams' and my own come to mind quickly, but I think there's at least one more).

And he suggests that children of Humakti be stillborn, which makes far more sense than simple infertility.

Tom Merchant suggests

> Try 'Women Who Run with the wolves' by Rose Estes. I
> rate it highly. Feminine take on this Joseph Campbell stuff

It's on my reading list (except my wife has started re-reading it). By Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

A similar book we both enjoyed is "Waking the World" by A. B. Chinen. He collected 12 fairy tales with women protagonists, and then psychoanalyzes them. My wife prefers the analysis of Estes, and I would have preferred more stories and less analysis, but the stories are great, and certainly don't seem to fit the Campbellian monomyth real well.

> There is also a jungian who writes in a feminist style. Von Franz I
> think her name is

Marie-Louise von Franz is mentioned in the bibliography.

Dave Fiorito asked

> In the old days all Battlemagic spells had a cost. In RQ3 we have this
> new system of defeating a spirit to gain a spell. The question is - how
> much do Shamen charge for this service?

Whatever they want. It depends on your relation with the shaman: if he's from your clan or band, less than if your an outsider.

See also p. 29-30 in the Gamemaster Book. Summoning a spell spirit costs the square of the MPs expended, times 10 for non-followers. If he summons a known spell spirit, of average POW 10, that's 100 for followers, 1000 for others.

(Note: the plural is "shamans" -- there's no linguistic connection with "man.")

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #184