Runic Associations; Training Costs

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:34:23 -0000

Andrew asks:

> I don't follow your logic here. Why would owning the Fertility
> rune give Uleria the Infinity rune instead of a second Fertility rune?

Conventionally, a doubled rune (e.g. Orlanth's Storm rune, Yelm's Sun rune) indicates the current owner of a rune; a single rune plus Infinity (with no other runic associations) indicates the original owner of a rune. More references in "Gods of Glorantha", in the "Introduction to Glorantha" book, in the Glorantha Digest FAQ (wherever it's got to), or on the Issaries, Inc. website at:

http://www.glorantha.com/library/religions/intro-religion.html#runes

> I can buy the idea about Harmony, especially since love is often
> disruptive, but then why would she have the Community rune spell?
> It seems to be a manifestation of either a Harmony or Issaries/
> Communication rune?

Uleria's known associations with Disorder bely a strong link to Harmony. I suspect that, as the original ruler of one Power rune (Fertility), it is unnecessary to associate her strongly with any of the others.

Communication is often seen as a minor variant of the Harmony rune, in any case.

Madam X writes (and yes, I *do* think it's amusing that we have a Digest poster who presumably wants to be mistaken for someone called "Madam X"):

> She is noted as the holder of the fertility rune both currently &
> originally. The only original runeholder still functioning in that
> capacity. (RQ3 Deluxe p243)

Flamal.

Alex wrote:

> It's hard to imagine not having any qualified Ernaldans in an
> Ernalda clan. It's as likely as not having any "qualified Orlanthi"
> in an "Orlanth clan", which statement is about as redundant as it
> sounds. If this ever had come up in play, you'd have gotten a bug
> report about it, rest assured. ;-)

I tried running an Elmal clan yesterday and got damn few Elmali from the setup. If this had ever come up in playtest, I'm sure David would have got a bug report.

Dave writes:

> In the old days all Battlemagic spells had a cost. In RQ3 we have this
> new system of defeating a spirit to gain a spell. The question is - how
> much do Shamen charge for this service?

  1. The word "new" reads rather oddly in this context: RQ3 has been out for fifteen years, now!
  2. That's "Shamans", not "Shamen". "Shamans" is the plural of "Shaman"; "Shamen" were (are?) some kind of band.
  3. Prices are stated in RQ3 Spirit Magic rules: 100 pennies per point of spell (and a POWx5 chance of acceptance, and success in spirit combat) for a "tribesman", or AT LEAST 500 pennies (or 10 weeks' income) per point of spell (and a 50% chance of acceptance, and success in spirit combat) for a stranger. But costs for a stranger halve once you're accepted.

> Also if you are an initiate of a cult and that cult has some spirit magic
> listed as being available how much do you have to pay to get the priest to
> throw Spell Teaching?

Cult spirit magic prices are stated in Gods of Glorantha's "Cults Book": cult spirit spells come free (at one point every five years) to initiates; initiates can purchase extra cult spirit magic for 30 pennies + 15 pennies per point of spell (e.g. Bladesharp 3 = 30+45 = 70 pennies); spells cost 100 pennies + 50 pennies per point of spell to initiates of associated cults.

> And what about the cost of increasing characteristics?

The generic training cost in RQ3 is 120 pennies per week. As the rules are silent on the subject, I'd assume a characteristic-training instructor can train a number of students based on their characteristic x5% as "equivalent skill". That is, one instructor can train eight students with stats of 6-10, four people at 11-15, or two people at 16-20.

Generic costs are then worked out by dividing the instructor's generic cost (120 pennies) by the number of pupils he has. Remembering, of course, that "if enough students aren't available for a normal class, the remaining students must make up the difference." And that characteristic training takes 25 hours per point of starting characteristic.

With this assumption, training up a STR of 10 takes 25x10 = 250 hours (five weeks), and costs a minimum of 120 x 5 / 8 (assuming training is shared with seven other students) = 75 pennies.

If your STR is 11, it takes 25x11 = 275 hours (5.5 weeks), and costs at least 120 x 5.5 / 4 (assuming three other students) = 165 pennies.

If your STR is 16, it takes 25x16 = 400 hours (eight weeks), and costs at least 120 x 8 /2 = 480 pennies.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick