White Elves

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:56:31 +1300

Greg:

>Someone ask me a month ago about "white elves".
>I know about black, blue, brown, green, red, river, and yellow ones,
>but I've never read about these "white elves" (or I forget).
>He can't say me where he find mention of them. So, my question is :
>Have you ever read anything about "white elves" and where ?

They are mentioned in Cults of Prax and Elder Secrets along the lines of "White Elves are said to have lived long ago but disappeared in the Gods War". In the Uz Lore Maps of Trollpak, they are depicted as living on the shores of the Spike.

In Greg's Aldryami mythos (which was presented as the myth of the month and also recited at Victoria, BC):

	The third seed of Falamal's seeds was lifted up to [the
	Sun] Halamalao, Halamdrya was born.  Halamdrya is the
	mother of all plants grown upon the Sun, as well as
	their collective soul. The White Elves are still a part
	of Halamdrya though they are now gone from the world.

and:

	In the Darkness, Halamdrya's (White Elf) children could
	not survive, and instead of the Growing race a new race
	of Takers came into existence. These creatures were the
	trolls, and the first among them was Kygor. The children
	of Kygor seek to consume all, enclosing the world in
	their darkness.

Halamdrya (although I distinctly recall Greg speaking about 'Yelmdrya' - I guess that's what the pharoah calls her) is equivalent to both Murthdrya and Aldrya (and presumably Slor and Mee Vorala) in being the collective pysche of the living plants in which those elves live.

Given their association with the sun, it's strange that they are distinguished from the Fire Elves.