Re: women warriors; watery issues

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:58:59 -0800

Jane Willams wrote:

> the chances of being mistaken, by a stranger, for a Vingan purely
> on hair colour are quite low.

When Greg and I were working with Stefano Gaudiano to come up with the look of the Orlanthi in King of Dragon Pass, we determined that Vingans wear trousers (long dresses aren't quite your combat attire), but they still wear a woman's overdress (at least in Dragon Pass; I don't know what they do in Tarsh). In other words, they are still women.

Enclosure 2 shows a Babeester Gor warrior -- I suppose her sash could be considered a feminine touch, but she wears male-style combat gear. Humakti women likewise.

Joerg Baumgartner wrote

> Aroka is NOT a water being, but the being who had taken Water away from
> the world, swallowing it. Same for Vadrus' Enkoshons. Aroka is as much a
> water being for containing water as is Orlanth Cloudherd.

The Blue Tribe "called upon the powers of the deep, and from its darkest depths crawled Aroka, the enemy Blue Dragon." To me, that means the deep ocean. Plus, Aroka is blue, which doesn't automatically mean water, but in the context of being a creature summoned from the deeps by the water gods...

> I thought the water-breathing Waertagi - born from unions with Ludoch -
> were the envy of all mermen, possibly excepting the Gnydron.

Waertagi breath air -- was this a typo?