Vinga

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:09:21 -0000

Simon writes:

> People in orlanthi society, at least in Dragon Pass, do know who
> Vinga was and what Vingan women get up to (at least in public).
> Surely it's reasonable for us to want to know that too?

I half-agree. I think that Orlanthi know (from observation) what Vingan women get up to in public -- though there may be as much argument about "typical Vingan behaviour" as there is about, say, different Uroxi or Humakti. And as Vinga's is a smaller cult than either of those named, its practices are IMO more likely to vary between worshippers.

I am not convinced that all Orlanthi in Dragon Pass "know who Vinga was", any more than all Greeks knew who Heracles was. (Cicero identified several different mythic Herculeses, who had become agglomerated into one composite figure). To pursue the analogy, while most everyone would agree that Vinga was a henna-haired Orlanthi warrior woman, precise details of her ancestry, origins, mythos, motivations, etc. could be refreshingly contradicted and disputed between different traditions.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick