Re: Trained cats

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:51:46 EST

In a message dated 12/7/99 7:44:59PM, you write:

<<
 I am all for realism in gaming but this debate seems to be drifting into  rather strange waters. If these cats have a trainable disposition then why  not use them for hunting? It is a fantasy game after all.

This is a reasonable point, but doesn't persuade me that a cat like creature should be used in Glorantha. In this case I think there is a difference between hunting and herding. Weren't cheetahs used for hunting at one time? I don' t like the idea of big cats running around steads being pathetically happy to see their master and licking people and chasing after sticks and basically being dogs. Any 'big' (and I don't want to get into the SIZ debate) cats should be slinking around, lazing by the fire, and doing other caty things. It seems perfectly reasonable to have a hunting cat, I have one, it just happens to hunt and kill mice which it then dutifully drops in the kitchen. I am sure if it was bigger, and if there were rubble runners in the local area then I would occasionally trip over large, dead, scaley rats

Keith N