Gloranthan names

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:46:20 +1300

George W. Harris

>You might say that that there was a chap named Swen who was important
>to this town early in its history; that might even become (contradiction
>in terms alert) Official Gloranthan Canon.

For the record, Swenstown is named after Swen Leapfoot, a warrior of the Balcoth tribe who invited Sartar to build a city there cf KoS p135. The town portion of the name is clearly a translation and those whingers who bitch about how this partial translation just _ruins_ glorantha for them are strangely reticient when the same practice is applied to personal names like:

	Beatpot Aelrin		Argin Terror
	Gunda the Guilty		Ingkot Axe-and-a-half
	Harrek the Berserk		Silibant Tongue of Ouroboros
	Guilmarn the Fat		Hofstaring Treeleaper
	Jarang Bladesong		Argrath Drgaonthingy
	Fazzur Wideread		Sorel the Short
	Duke Raus of Rone		Jomes Wulf
	Tatius the Bright		Kallyr Starbrow

Or would you prefer that we obliterate english epithets too just to appease the linguistically anal^H^H^H^Hcorrect brigade?