Re: Gloranthan names

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:09:46 GMT

Peter Metcalfe writes of:
> those whingers who bitch about how this partial translation
> just _ruins_ glorantha for them are strangely reticient when the
> same practice is applied to personal names like:

[Characteristically copious list of examples]

I presumed, myself, that they were merely 'lazily evaluating' their pointed complaints about same. Having done those, clearly next on the target list would be any noun one uses in a game session to refer to a game-world object. "No, it's not a <disdainful expression> 'horse', it's a hymalingar!"

Whether anyone would go so far as a Gaelic summer school 'Bearla rule' (speak Sartarite or go home) is a straw man/reductio ad absurdum argument I'll save up until this thread gets even more partisan and silly, to wit, hopefully will never actually be deployed...

Cheers,
Alex.