RE: Exploration HQs

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:43:03 GMT

Nikk Effingham:
> Illuminated deities aside, the gods have things about them that never change.

This is a bit like that old saw, treason shall never prosper, since if it did, who would dare call it treason?

Are there immutable platonic objects (Mike Cule's favourite mystic elephants), of which mortal worshippers just get to select different 'views' of, actually accomplishing no change whatsoever? Is the divine entirely mutable, and the apparent stability just because CA's hypothetical axe-weilding maniac subcult not called 'Chalana Arroy' anymore? Does some more moderate intermediate position pertain?

As I always say on these occassions: it'd be impossible to tell in Glorantha which of these was the case; how much less chance do we have of sorting out these effectively 'observationally equivalent' situations from _this_ world, beyond the level of having a 'theory' or a 'operating assumption' about it?

Oh, for the record I think Greg, from what he's said at Cons, agrees with Nikk, but my remarks apply as much to Greg as they do to anyone else.

Cheers,
Alex.