Combined Traditions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:20:33 +1300

>From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
>Subject: Re: Mixed traditions
>
>Peter Metcalfe :
>

>>But I'm not talking about RQ, I'm talking about Gloranthan
>>magic systems and the Orlanthi Priests do embody a mixed
>>tradition - they are not pure theists. Thus to say that
>>to draw upon more than one of the four magic traditions is
>>an illuminated power is wrong.

>The Orlanthi tradition is not a purely theist tradition,
>but an Orlanthi priest is a theist priest and invokes
>magic in a theist fashion.

The Orlanthi Priest is not "a theist" as a Yelmic priest is. His magical tradition combines animism with theism. I do not mean that he knows spirit magic and divine magic per RQ but that his entire magic is a fusion.

>Surely he has no shamanic powers
>as a result of his status as a priest of Orlanth, and connot
>become a shaman?

There is far more to the animist tradition than just "shamanic powers". For example, the God Learners classified Martial Artists as being a fusion of animism and mysticism.