Re: Aeolian worship

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 00:32:50 +0000

Peter Metcalfe

> They do combine the Orlanthi pantheon with Malkioni mysteries
> but they don't use rune magic. Greg's of the opinion that the
> two (malkioni and divine magic) are fundamentally incompatible.

Worship is magic. Veneration (Malkioni parallel of worship) to pagan (Orlanth pantheon) deities is either meaningless (no return) or so similar to worship that the difference becomes meaningless.

It is known that the Dawn Age Seshnegi (as a culture) did use both theist earth magic and Malkioni wizardry. Distributed to different individuals, or combining these?

> But since the Stygians do exist, how do we treat those? Greg's
> latest thinking or perhaps his intent all along but hitherto
> mistated seems to be that the Stygians, Aeolians etc. are tantric
> worshippers of the Invisible God, i.e. they use deliberately
> wrong methods to understand God.

Deliberately wrong in whose POV? And would a benighted sect like the Aeolians in an even more benighted pagan environment like Heortland be aware of their method being contrary to orthodox doctrine, rather than regionally different?

> Which makes kinda sense since
> it explains why the other Malkioni are so down on the Safelstrans
> etc.

Certainly makes sense from the orthodox POV, but leaves the unorthodox self-image rather unexplained. Given that this is a sizeable portion of Malkionism, I find this (yet) unsatisfactory.