Re: Weaponthanes and Housecarls

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:29:11 -0000

Peter writes:

> Such "competent warriors" would not necessarily be weaponthanes,
> which is a specific status according to the myth of "Humakt the
> Champion". Carls or even Cottars can be "competent warriors" IMO.

Haven't gotten that far in the game, so this source is news to me.

Also (incidentally), it's interesting that 'thanes' are higher rank than 'carls', but I still think there are more weapon-Thanes than house-Carls. Still, both "vassal" and "knight" originally meant "boy", while "soldier" refers to cold hard cash, so it's not as if RW military nomenclature is always utterly sensible.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick