Re: Stygians

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:31:08 EST

David Cake:

<< I have interpreted some things said lately that the Stygians are
intrinsically less competent magically than the Malkioni,>>

      In the specific case of their attempting to worship gods as if they were saints (or vice versa), not necessarily of their overall magic, which probably balances out somewhere, due to a wider variety or whatever. And, of course, only of those sects which actually do this, which may not be all of them.

<< not just in the sense that an individual practitioner might have a higher
score,>>

     A practitioner's score can, in principle, be just as high if he worships a being incorrectly as if he does it properly. But it's more difficult to reach that level of ability (it costs more hero points, in game terms). Or that's my impression, anyway.

<< but in the sense that the Malkioni are in touch with levels of power that
the Stygians are not.>>

     I'm not sure about that at all. A Malkioni probably gets a wider *range* of sorcery magic than a stygian, but then, he doesn't get the divine magic, so overall there may not be much difference. Stygians can become very powerful, I'm sure, but its difficult, so that the *average* stygian has magic which is weaker (but probably more varied) than that of an equally average orthodox Malkioni.

     Except, come to think of it, the average orthodox Malkioni is a peasant and not allowed to use much magic anyway. Another advantage to the Stygians...

<< I would also note in passing that there seems to be a bit of favouritism
- - the Orlanthi and the Lunars get to mix magic systems with impunity, and get no major problems from it.>>

      Its not mixing the traditions that's the problem, its worshipping a god as if he isn't a god, or vice versa. Worshipping, say, both Carmanos as a saint/prophet and Yanafal Tarnils as a god, is not a problem (well, not for that reason, there's likely other things that make it difficult). Start worshipping Orlanth as if he's not really a god, when he manifestly is one, and you're only making things difficult for yourself so far as learning Orlanthi magic is concerned.

      I have to admit, I was rather surprised by this when I first saw the HW rules dealing with it, and actually said to Greg 'surely, you've got this wrong - Glorantha doesn't work like that, does it?' He strongly disagreed...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky