Stygians

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:22:10 +1200

Terra Incognita:

>Stygian Heresy

>Tales of The reaching Moon #13 categorize this word as Joint worship between
>monotheism and polytheism using both sorcery & theistic magic society, but
>later this word became only application to Arkati Stygian Imperial
>Influence.

I would say that the word primarily refers to the Safelstran Malkioni but that unrelated people with similar practices can be smeared as Stygians.

>so it excludes middle Age Talorism, Syanoran, Carmanian, and
>western Lunars.

Talorism AFAIK (I won't invoke the expertly imprimateur here) was not a stygian religion in that its worshippers venerated Malkion and other deities. IMO the Loskalmi were pious monotheists who quite happily had pagan peasants and auxillaries serving them.

The Syanorans are similar, being a malkioni nobility lording it over pagan peasants. The main difference between the Syanorans and Talor's Loskalm is that many of the malkioni nobility aren't terribly pious or secret pagans.

The Arrolians and the Carmanians can be called Stygians but most Malkioni upon hearing the word will assume that you mean a Safelstran.