Re: Stygians

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:32:28 EST

Nick:

<< > Greg's thinking was that [Stygians] use the normal rules for
> Theist magic, but have a penalty to their chances of success
> and/or efficacy. They are, after all, 'doing it wrong'.

 I tend to dislike this judgmental approach to Glorantha -- "Malkioni are Right, Stygians are Wrong".>>

     Pretty much a paraphrase of Greg's thinking, though ;-)

<< Better IMO to note the excellent variety of Theist magic which Stygians can access through their superior understanding of the nature of Glorantha ("their festering Heresy!"), which orthodox Malkioni have a 100% inability to use. They are, after all, 'doing it wrong'. >>

      Agreed; its certainly true that the Stygians can gain access to magic that the orthodox Malkioni can't use at all. But in terms specifically of the theist magic they employ, they *are* using an inappropriate method, which is my point. Obviously not wrong from their POV, since they believe the lack of magical efficacy to be balanced out by something else (possibly the fact that they can combine it with sorcery). So, 'wrong' in the specific instance of how they access theist magic, not necessarily wrong about the whole of their own mythology ;-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky