Zero

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 17:29:54 +1300

Andrew Larsen:

> Returning this whole discussion to Glorantha, how do Gloranthans
>count?

With their fingers.

>Do most Gloranthans have a concept of zero? Obviously the Lunars
>do, since they have a Zero Wane, but somehow I doubt that the Sartarites
>really use the idea (given that none of the analagous RW cultures for them
>had the concept). What about the Malkioni and Kralorelans?

Everybody has some concept of nothing, but the real world discovery relates specifically to the implementation of it as a number in its own right. The Babylonians had some inkling of this but the concept wasn't properly developed until the Greeks (under Alexander) spread Babylonian Astronomy to India where the Hindus perfected it.

The Fronelan Malkioni are stated to have recently discovered zero during the third age according to the back page of Enclosure #1 although there's a parenthetical comment that it's actually the appearance of zero there. The time period mentioned is the Closing but I've a feeling that Greg meant to say during the Ban.

On the basis of the parenthetical comment, I suppose one could say that Zero was discovered in the Lunar Empire. I dunno if the Kralori know of it as it's not really essential for them.