Rising and Falling Elements

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:36:07 -0600

>From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_uk.airsysatm.thomson-csf.com>

>Andrew E. Larsen wrote :
>> For Glorantha, darkness, being an element, probably also tends to
>> fall, since it started out in the Underworld and naturally seeks to return
>> there. Perhaps what makes the Red Moon levitate/hover is that it combines
>> these forces, thus reconciling them. Clearly the Red Moon has earth in it,
>> since it's physical body was torn from the earth, but it would be difficult
>> to say that it has either air or fire in it, especially since the Red Moon
>> is in combat with the Air. Perhaps it is a natural tendency of spiritual
>> things to rise, and thus by spiritualizing the earth, the Moon hovers
>> rather than rising or falling.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, the Moon is in fact a new element (it has an
>Element Rune
>and you can get elementals from it). Maybe that this element has a
>natural
>tendancy to rise as well (MoonBoats).

        The Moon can't simply have a rising tendency, because it stops rising at some point in the Middle Air. So there has to be some falling tendency balancing it out. Since the Red Moon reconciles other opposites, it seems reasonable that it would reconcile the rising and falling tendencies of other elements.

>From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
>Subject: Re: Gravity
>
>In a message dated 1/6/00 1:38:14AM, you write:
>
><< The earthy stuff in your body likes to be with other earthy stuff.
>This
> is also why fire and heat (and possibly light, if we believe certain
>theories
> about the horizon) rise towards the Sky Dome.
> >>

>I think this is a manifestation of Uleria. The bringing together of things.

        Perhaps, but the ancient explanation of rising and falling is not about attraction, which is rather more Newtonian. Not that this is necessarily an invalid model, but my own preference for it would be a more classical one, since it seems closer to how Gloranthans think about things.

        So do you suppose that Glorantha has the spontaneous generation of life forms like Ancient Science did? Or would that be too chaotic? Perhaps an aspect of Pochorngo, who generates gorp spontaneously.

        On a related note, if anyone is looking for a fabulous exploration of the Aristotelean Scientific Paradigm, I heartily recommend *Celestial Matters* (author's last name is something like Gilchrist--I've loaned out my copy, so I can't check.) It theorizes that the Scientific Revolution took place using an Aristotelean system, and the main character is leading a Moonship exploration to the Sun, to capture a piece of the Sun to use as a weapon. He explores the whole concept of natural tendecies in elements in brilliant detail. It might serve as inspiration for various RQ scenarios.

Andrew E. Larsen