Re: Esrolian cohesion

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:11:11 +0000

>>Maybe it is a fact of life that powerful individual magic and city life
>>don't combine well. Esrolia works because the female magic there is
>>society-oriented. Orlanthi magics often are individual-oriented, or
>>restricted to small groups which can form a consensus.

> Esrolia works because its queens are able to function harmoniously
> under the domination of a single ruler, be he the Only Old One or
> the Pharaoh. Bereft of such leadership (ie as is happening today),
> its unity breaks down to become squabbling statelets.

Still, these "statelets" each outsize the entire population of Sartar, unless you think that each lesser queen will brew her own stew (which still would make the average queendom the size of Quiviniland, aka Old Sartar, in population).

> I don't agree
> that Esrolian magic is society-orientated as opposed to standard
> Orlanthi individual orientated elsewhere. Rather the Esrolian Queens
> keep a tight grip on the disruptive male powers that make Orlanthi
> society elsewhere very turbulent, but other magics are not inhibited.

That's a slightly other way of putting it - the effect is that powerful individual magic which can disrupt society is weakened, whereas community-oriented magic is stronger.

I don't know whether the Esrolians have anything like the Orlanthi Ginna Jar which allows some sort of cohesion despite Orlanthi disrupX-Mozilla-Status: 0009arth mysteries do this job, and at a larger scale than the pre-Sartar concept did in Sartar.

Pre-Lunar Tarsh relied heavily on these earth mysteries as well, it seems.