Re: Scorpionmen Questions

From: Andrew Raphael <raphael_at_research.canon.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:54:13 +1100 (EST)

There's lots (and lots and lots ...) or talk about Illumination in the archives, and I don't really want to start that all going again.

This is how I would GM things. Nothing more.

>When a Rune level character becomes an Illuminate, what happens to
>his/her Allied Spirit?

Nothing. They keep their allied spirit until such time as they become apostate. Nothing forces an Illuminate to behave so badly that they become apostate. It's something they choose to do.

>Does it became Illuminated as well (seems unlikely)?

Agreed. The allied spirit is unaffected by the illumination. It's a different individual.

>Does it realize what has happened and leave?

I don't think so. Illumination is a mystic thing.

>Does it remain ignorant until the Rune level does something obviously
>chaotic, like start manifesting chaos features or collecting Thanatari
>heads?

I think so. Note that since the Illuminate and their Allied Spirit are mindlinked, "something obviously chaotic" can include just thinking about doing it. Thoughtcrime! Double-plus-ungood! ;-)

>What would happen to the Allied Spirit if it's Rune level unwent the
>Bagogi Ritual of Rebirth (finally the Scorpianman connection)?

That really depends on the deity who provided the Allied Spirit. Lunar Empire deities would cope. Orlanthi or Praxian deities would object strenuously. The Allied Spirit might make a beeline for the nearest temple to organise a crash extermination team.

>If the Spirit was in the body of an animal and got eaten during the
>Rebirth, would it come out as a Scorpionman?

Yes.