Nolos, Pasos & Venice

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:26:07 -0000

Peter writes:

> Nolos and Pasos are really Venice under another name.

I thought Nolos was Provence to Seshneg's kingdom of the Franks (the sophisticated independent southern bit in touch with the rest of the world by sea, and about to be hammered by self-righteous Northerners). Not sure what Pasos is ("Fantasy Island Kingdom" most likely).

Handra ("Italian Renaissance" Safelstran trading emporium sited in the middle of a swamp) has many of the *physical* characteristics of Venice, IMO, though I know Peter was referring to a far broader swathe of characteristics than that. Maybe Pasos is Genoa and Nolos is Venice? :-)

> Ralios would best be a mixture of Italy (feuding citystates) and
> Germany (feuding religious disputes).

Mix in feuding Ancient city-states (after all, the great Renaissance thinkers thought they were living in a "re-birth" of the Ancient world, Greek and Roman) for more fun. The King of Seshnela is then the "Great King" on the edge of our lands, snaffling up some previously independent states from time to time in his campaigns of conquest.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick