I do not agree

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:05:05 GMT

I do not agree!
I do not agree on two matters, at least: 1) Bacteria in Glorantha
2) Byzantinism and Lunar Empire
My reasons are as follows:
1) I do not own TrollPack or TrollGods, but I always assumed there are no bact in G, because diseases are brought only by disease spirits, not by natural factors. There are no natural plagues in G history, AFAIK. This could have two explanations: bact are absent or they are powerless (too magical healing to be effective killers); if they are powerless it's like they are absent (to game purposes, at least); if they are not powerless, what do they do? If their only occupation is to be ruled by Trolldeities or be eaten by tiny insects, I can safely assume they are absent: I do not manage Insect cultists, my only Troll character is an Annilla worshipper and I am not interested in small insects' diet. 2) The Byzantine Empire had many peculiarities I read as incompatible with the Red Goddess' One: it was not tolerant (see the iconoclast strife and the schism with Roman Church); it was not expansionistic (after Justinian, if this is the correct English sp); it had little infantry (apart from mercenary one)and big cavalry regiments; it was almost entirely agricultural based; it was forced for a millennium by his enemies to a strategical defence-based attitude; it had a strong bureaucracy which often suffocated and overtook Imperial Authority; it had the most effective navy of its age; it had little military contact with anglo-saxon or Frank (read Orlanthi) barbarians and lost all battles against them (in Italy or during the crusades); it was a one-city-empire, while the LE has many capitals and metropolis...
Do I make myself clear?
Ciao
Gian