Re: Parloth and non-Vithelan Gods

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:43:48 +0100

Peter:

> >I'm not sure that an eastern god is different in essence
> >(mystic) compared to another god though. After all, both
> >gods and antigods are children of Vith in the Vithelan
> >mythology.
>
> But when the myth talks about Gods, he talks about Gods
> descended from Vith and not a God as per the God Learner
> definition. So it's erroneous IMO to think that just
> because the Parloth are described as Gods, they are no
> different from Gods from outside Vithela.

I see only a division between gods and antigods, not a third category of foreign deities, if that's what you mean. If I'm misunderstanding your definitions, please explain one more time.

Malkion, Pamalt, Orlanth and Sshorg are foreign deities and they are defined as antigods and thus descended from Vith (Malkion and Pamalt explicitly so).

> >So, to conclude, from a Vithelan perspective I don't
> >think there's a difference between mystic entities and
> >others.
>
> If there isn't, do you see them worshipping foreign gods?
> Since they don't, this does mean that they do see some
> difference between the Parloth and other gods.

A foreign deity would probably usually end up in the antigod camp, but IMO the Vithelans consider all gods children of Vith and either of his wives.

I also think it is possible that some deities which are worshipped in the east are the same as deities worshipped elsewhere, under other names. For example, the celestial gods are not important in the East Isles, but there is a mythology of the stars. IMO, the eastern pole star deity could be the same as the Pelorian one.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #281