Re: Jomes Wulf

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:35:08 +0000

Gian has several good questions:

> What can you tell me of General Jomes Wulf? After his Telmori
> campaign, I assumed he fell in disgrace due to Euglyptus' envy,
> but I do not really know where he is in about 1620.

I don't recall any disgrace on his part. Jomes seems to have become the military governor (Duke) of northeastern Quiviniland, where he settled a good number of Lunar veterans on former Maboder territory. (In this the Lunar army is very similar to Roman legions in Britain.)

> Did Euglyptus really envy and fear him because he could be a better
> provincial ruler than himself?

I doubt that. Euglyptus is ruling the entire conquest (not quite yet a provincial kingdom), Jomes just has his small district. I think Jomes becomes something like a reserve officer given land in disputed border territory - he has to keep the peace in his area, and he can be called upon in emergencies.

Which makes me wonder about his role in the 1613 rebellion. The Hill of Orlanth Victorious might be just outside of his assigned area. Most of his neighboring tribes joined the rebellion. Was he left alone by the rebels, or was he forced to abandon his district for a while?

> Does Fazzur feel the same about Sor-eel and sent him to Pavis as
> Governor following the classical rule "promoveatur ut amoveatur"?

Sor-eel becomes Governor of Pavis three years before Euglyptus' death, so it can be ruled out that Fazzur promoted him there. While he was Provincial Governor, he failed to promote Sor-eel out of Pavis, though.

> Who commanded the units which took Corflu?

Corflu was founded by Zola Fel River Folk and Lunars working together. The Lunars never "took" it.

> Who commanded the navy which occupied Karse?

Whoever it was, the name hasn't been published yet. Might be left up to someone's campaign.

> Why do the Lunars used sea forces when they could employ
> flying Moon Boats to surprise the defenders?

Cost and availability. Moon boats are no aerial fortresses, but light transports. Outside of the Glowline, the reliability of the moon boats suffers greatly.

Besides, in Orlanthi territory it is sort of hard to achieve air superiority short of bringing the Bat. Which was up at Whitewall under Jorkandros Blinder while Fazzur prepared the storm of Karse, and was taken out by Orlanthi air superiority...

> How many praxian Sable Riders
> fight as auxiliaries under the Lunar Commanders?

Depends on demand and location. There may be some more permanent auxiliary "units" in Prax, but I suppose that ordinarily they are hired for campaigns only. Which suits both sides.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #284