'Natural' immortality?

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:50:37 -0500

> I could be wrong, but I had the impression that Brithini don't use
> spells at all (after all, every peasant is immortal, too). Their
> longevity is a consequence of their correct behavior.
> David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com>

        That is certainly one view, and takes the rules literally, but it can be reduced to an argument of viewpoint and semantics... If participating in the 'proper rituals', and 'living correctly' keeps you from ever aging, has magic or a spell been used? The average Brithini or Dwarf will say no, for that is what they are taught, but the truth concealed from them might prove the opposite.

        It is possible that longevity magic is buried within the framework of one or more rituals that define the Brithini or Dwarven lifestyles. It might be so well hidden that the casters don't realize the error of their claims, or it could be a secret restricted to a very small segment of the ruling hierarchy. This type of withheld information seems to be common within the Dwarven lifestyle and possibly among the Brithini as well.

        It is also possible that their longevity stems from a mystic denial of the effects of time. Again, this probably requires a ritual ceremony which is not strictly a 'spell', but has a quasi-magical effect. Failing to participate in the rituals for too long restarts the aging process, so all exiles and apostates die.
Stancliff

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #305