Vormain and Empire

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:26:37 +1300

Terra Incognita:

>1: only pirates?

No. The Vormaini rule a sprawling empire in the East Isles that are called by them the Hinter Isles and by everybody else the War Isles. The sole function of this empire is to keep everybody away from Vormain and the Vormaini rulers of the Hinter Isles are forbidden to return there or even tell Outsiders what Vormain is really like (they are even obliged to kill people who ask such questions). The model here is Tokugawa's Isolationism as no foreigner knows what Vormain is really like.

These rulers are Samurai types who rule over a population of mixed Vormaini-East Islanders (ie born of the Vormaini immigrants and locals) who serve as their retainers and whatever East Islers still have their own ways. Their rule on any isle can be benign or brutal, peaceful or rebellious etc. as Vormain does not care for uniformity in the Hinter Isles - it just wants to avoid foreigners. It should be said that the rulers differ in style from each other (ie they are not all samurai) as various isles were conquered in different invasions.

Most of the Pirates that everybody attributes to Vormain, are really Hinter Isles folk, in particular the Fog Pirates of Oushikz. They are monitored by a Priesthood from the Most Grand Diamond and Sky Temple of Tsankth at Norub (in Vormain) who ensure that the pirates despoil foreigners (including ordinary East Islanders) rather than work against the rule of the Hinter Isles. It is really only one strand in Vormain's foreign policy (and may not be well-liked). Some conflict will undoubtedly arise between the Pirates and the Rulers especially if the Pirates start raiding the subjects of a considerate Ruler.

>or is it derived from WW2? it is horrible idea.

Some comparison between the Hinter Isles and the Japanese Colonial Empire/Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere is unavoidable because we really have no other model of a Japanese overseas empire. Hideyoshi did make a go of it but wasn't successful.

I do want to emphasize that the Hinter Isles aren't brutally ruled as a norm and that the Vormaini aren't there for Colonial Expansion. They have the completely opposite idea - - to avoid people conquering Vormain and they view their rule over the Hinter Isles as an especially noble form of self-sacrifice since they can't go back.

>2:gods and colour magic
>emperor Valzain, wizard Zaktirra, samurai Terask, and boatpeople Tsankth
>(especially, much japanese commentators mourned about description in
>TOTRM#17) are too-obscure and stereotype-mold.

Apart from noting that Zaktirra isn't a wizard, I must confess to be somewhat lost by the colour magic schtick. Perhaps Alex the Vormain expert can explain the latest thinking, if he's feeling up to it (haha). But the Colour Gods are a recent phenomenon and before the Isolation, Vormain looked more normal.

>idea
>some vormai hoped pilgrimrage to grave of saint hrestol the great as one of
>malkioni sect, they are oppressed in their domain by their pagan overlord ,
>and wanted support of high church of genertela (after 7th council?)
>circa Hero Wars.

There are no Malkioni in Vormain as the Isolation is simply too effective but there are Martalak sorcerers in Vormain. IMO one of the Valkarian Isles is inhabited by Vormaini Malkioni. They are the descendants of Vormaini warriors hired by the Eastern Seas Empire to destroy the Wizard Valkaro and his people. But when they landed, they were met by Valkaro and converted en masse, a miracle that nobody has been able to understand, and so the invasion ended in disaster.