Re: Vormain

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:52:53 GMT

David Cake:
> The colour magic is too obscure because no one has done enough work
> on it to describe it fully yet.

Well, there is that. Though if we did know, and you found out, we'd have to kill you, of course.

> there are also coloured spirit guardians who roam Vormain who probably
> have something to do with it.

Is this a Missing Landsism?

> Its also doubtful that the four known colour deities are the only ones.

Four? Loooxury! Turn in your unauthorised two at once, citizen. ;-)

> Its important to remember
> that Vormain isn't Japan. It does not have buddhists (though the mystic
> inhabitants might wear similar hats), or a shogun, or other things taken
> directly and unchanged from Japan. It is a different place - and while it
> looks to be only based on Japan currently, thats just because not enough
> work has been done to discover what a fascinating, uniquely Gloranthan,
> place it surely is.

Right. The 'analogousness' is strong enough to have been stated baldly in print, but ultimately the stealings will be no more wholesale than in most of Glorantha, I reckon. I believe Sandy once suggested Java as a 'co-analogue', if that makes anyone feel better... (Which elements I forget; haqven't thought about the details of this stuff for quite a while, I confess.)

Cheers,
Alex.