Sorcerers in Malkionism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:50:49 +1300

Alex Ferguson:

>> For obvious reasons, I
>> do not believe that the Church would allow the Wizard Caste
>> to choose between becoming a wizard or a sorcerer.

>The reason that springs to mind as being the most obvious is: who
>gets to choose an occupation of _any_ kind, in most of Malkioni
>society?

I was thinking of the fact that a wizard believes in Malkion while a sorcerer subscribes to Zzabur's view of the Cosmos: Eternal Laws etc. I can't see any church actually dictating to its members that "Thou Shalt Not Believe In God".

>I'd think that in most Malkioni territory, there are
>de facto 'sub-castes' (whether one is born into them, or qualifies
>for them), rather than an undifferenciated set of professions.

I can see the logic in 'once a seaman, always a seaman", but I prefer to see these as recognized Professions and Trades with the consequent de jure respectability. I do think people can change this if they have reason to (ie become a labourer if your shop burnt down or if your guild was unmasked as heretics and your trade suppressed).

>> IMO the sorcerers are considered to be commoners by most
>> Malkioni as the first commoners in the Land of Logic were
>> investigators of the physical world

>That would have a certain logic too, especially for the 'more
>way-back-when-than-thou' Rokari. Maybe more problematic for
>the Idealists, though perhaps they can rationalise such types as
>'eternal acolythists', or some such.

FWIW The Idealists also claim to embody the 'more-way-back-when- than-thou'. But the sorcerers aren't commoners in the sense of an ordinary commoner (i.e. one-of us), they are considered foreigners (because they don't believe in God) with the attached distrust that implies.