Sorcery in Kralorela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:55:21 +1300

Alex Ferguson:

>An interesting question is that of 'sorcery', of one sort or another,
>in Kralorela. Greg has made mixed noises about this, but IIRC
>Sandy has long been a strong advocate that Kralori 'exploit sorcery
>up the wazoo', and I have somewhat mixed feelings, myself. I doubt
>there's anything especially like conventional Malkioni magic, but
>a materialist bent of some sort seems quite likely.

One could argue that baisc sorcery is incompatible with the draconism or enlightenment that good kralori subscribe to, but there are plenty of subcultures that care nothing for these. In particular, I can think sorcery should be available to the Cult of Immanent Mastery (for obvious reasons) and the Sekeverans (because it's evil).

There could always be combat sorcerers in the army whom the Kralori pity for its polluted nature because it has to fight the outside world so much.

The NiangMaoist laity could use sorcery to give them an exotic feel and there always is the Valkarians wandering about, although Greg does mention a Varanyu sect at one point...

>If nothing
>else, there'll certainly be assorted 'alchemical' practices; "Having
>discerned the gross nature of the Cosmic Dragon, let us pummel it
>up in retorts and simmer vigorously at gas mark 6."

Such as Thalurzni's Pills of Immortality. I suppose special inks to write down magic spells, black lotus dust etc are also in order.

>Probably
>assorted practices more immediately 'sorcerous' in nature too, but
>this I'm less clear on.

The Rocketeers. IMO the Kralori army also has a lot of gizmos that they captured from the dwarves at the battle of warring ford and I suppose they need use sorcery to operate these.